Located between Swanston and Russell streets, Waratah Place extends from Lonsdale Street to Little Bourke Street. It had previously been known as Williams Lane. In May 1893, one resident of Williams Lane, Ali Sue, received a summons for allegedly throwing a quantity of vegetable refuse upon the water channel in this lane. City of Melbourne's Assistant Inspector Edward Thunderbolt stated in his report of the incident that Ali Sue had already been cautioned for similar offences on two previous occasions. The quantity of refuse was measured at 'an old privy pan full'.