Located between Queen and Elizabeth streets, Wrights Lane extended from Lonsdale Street to Little Bourke Street. It was named pre-1847 after an early settler in the area and by 1935, was renamed Hardware Lane. In 1892, importers and indentors William Palmer & Co. and shop and office fitter Joseph Pearson were two businesses that occupied this lane. It was often the case that more laneway names appeared in maps and directories than actually on the streets. In 1911, property owners, tenants and business people were finally successful in petitioning to the City of Melbourne to erect two or more nameplates at either entrance of Wrights Lane.