J. Churchman & Sons
Marble, granite and sandstone drinking fountain
Victoria Square, corner of Elizabeth and Victoria Streets
This stone drinking fountain commemorates the visit of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York, who visited Australia soon after Edward VII's ascension to the throne. During their stay in Melbourne, they opened the first Federal Parliament on 9 May 1901.
The memorial fountain, with its sandstone pillars and symbolic figure of Britannia, was presented to the City of Melbourne by the Woman's Christian Temperance Union of Australia in an effort to promote abstinence. In part, its inscription reads: 'For God, home and humanity'.