Charles Douglas Richardson
Granite, marble and bluestone drinking fountain
Corner of Gatehouse Street and Royal Parade, Parkville
Charles Douglas Richardson was born in England and arrived in Australia in 1858. He studied first in Melbourne and then London before returning to Australia. He produced many war memorials, as well as the famous Mercury statue for the former Age building in Collins Street.
Richardson's shrine-like drinking fountain is one of three memorial fountains dedicated to the Ievers family, and donated to the community in gratitude for its support of the family. The Ievers had a long association with Carlton, with three family members representing the Smith Ward: William Jnr (1881-95), William Snr (1895-1901) and George (1901-21).
George Ievers proposed the fountains in 1913 as part of a beautification scheme coordinated by the Parks & Gardens Committee, of which he was a member. This memorial was the last of the three to be unveiled. It carries the inscription: 'Presented by Councillor George Hawkins Ievers, JP/ to the citizens of Smith Ward/ amongst whom he has lived for the past 61 years/ as a thanks offering to them for having returned him/ unopposed, as one of their representatives, since 1901'.