One of Melbourne's first halls, St Patrick's Hall was designed by Samuel Jackson and built on land purchased by the St Patrick's Society in 1846 at 85 (470) Bourke Street West. Dedicated 'to the memory of Ireland', it opened in 1849 for meetings and as a school for Irish children. A grand fancy-dress ball was held at the hall on 28 November 1850 as part of Separation festivities. Victoria's Legislative Council met there from 13 November 1851 until the construction of the new Parliament House in 1856. For many years a mustering point for the annual St Patrick's Day procession and the Druids' Easter procession, the hall was demolished in 1957. Its original Speaker's chair is now displayed in Queen's Hall.