Church Lane runs south from Little Collins Street between King and William streets, directly across from Church Street. It was named for St James Cathedral, the grounds of which bordered Church Lane. In 1874, the Brewer's Arms Hotel stood on the west side of Church Lane, and in 1895 fumes from the City Brewery no doubt filled the lane. In 1913, the church was dismantled and moved to its present site in West Melbourne opposite the Flagstaff Gardens. In 2008, the Menzies Tavern stood where the Brewery operated, and the St James Cathedral site contained the State Revenue Office, an apartment building and the HSBC building. Church Lane also contained a parking lot, and provides access to Collins Street via a pedestrian walkway.