Located between Lonsdale and Little Lonsdale streets, Red Cape Lane extends east from Swanston Street. It is situated within the QV shopping complex, which today stands on the site of - and is consequently named after - the Queen Victoria Hospital for Women and Children. The hospital, which later became the Queen Victoria Memorial Hospital after the Queen died, was opened in 1896 and was led by the first female registered doctor in Australia, Dr Constance Stone. The first hospital in Australia that was 'For Women, By Women,' it moved to Clayton in the late 1980s. The name Red Cape is a reference to the distinctive red capes that were worn by nurses at the Queen Victoria Hospital as part of their uniform.