Designer Philip Hudson; sculptor Paul Montford
Granite, bronze and concrete fountain
Shrine Gardens, corner of Domain and St Kilda Roads
Architect Philip Hudson moved from New Zealand to Melbourne in 1903. He designed several grammar schools, as well as the Shrine of Remembrance, near which this fountain is sited. On this work he collaborated with celebrated sculptor Paul Montford, who migrated to Australia from England in 1921.
The fountain consists of one pool within another, and a central column upon which sits a bronze figure of a boy catching a dolphin. Water sprays into the pools from bronze animals. The fountain was a gift from Sir Macpherson Robertson to celebrate Victoria's centenary. Robertson was a successful businessman and a philanthropist, making his money and name in confectionery; he was responsible for introducing chewing gum and fairy floss into Australia. Robertson gave to many causes and expeditions, Sir Douglas Mawson even naming Mac Robertson Land in Antarctica in his honour. In celebration of Victoria's centenary, Robertson donated £15 000 as first prize in the Centenary Air Race from London to Melbourne and £100 000 for works to be undertaken around the city. The fountain is one result of this donation.