(3777, 53 km NE, Yarra Ranges Shire).
This settlement south of Healesville was possibly named after a horse called Badger who became bogged in the creek. From 1863 the Coranderrk Aboriginal Mission Station was located here. In 1894 about 2000 ha were excised from the station and offered for sale as a village settlement, one of many attempts to settle unemployed Victorians on small rural blocks. Unlike many settlements, this was relatively successful because of the good quality of the soil, in which settlers planted orchards. In 1924 remaining Coranderrk residents were forced off the station, which was closed and partly sold off for soldier settlement blocks. Healesville Sanctuary is located on former Coranderrk land.