1. Themes
  2. A to Z

Brandon Park

(3150, 21 km SE, Monash City)

Brandon Park is a locality south-east of the Ferntree Gully Road-Springvale Road intersection, and also a shopping centre opened in 1969 and since extended three times. A state primary school was built in 1970 and a technical (later secondary) school in 1978. The latter closed in 2003. The name comes from a grazing property bought by Sir George Steward (1865-1920) about the time he became secretary to the governor-general in 1902. He was briefly chief commissioner of police before his death. From 1921 the property was the Jersey stud of John Percy Chirnside (1865-1944) and remained part of the Chirnside estate until bought by Isidor Magit's Overland Development Corporation in 1965. The south-western corner was excised for the first (1973) section of the Monash Freeway.

Susan Priestley