On the south-eastern corner of St Kilda Road and Commercial Road, Prahran, the Chevron Hotel with its prominent corner tower was completed in a record 18 weeks in 1934 by E.A. Watts to a design by architect Leslie M. Perrott. Named after the original house on the site, it was the first 'country club' hotel in Australia, a low-rise, non-licensed residential hotel in a garden setting away from the city, incorporating an outdoor swimming pool, gymnasium and tennis court. The 200-room hotel also offered en suite bathrooms (a feature then largely absent in Australian hotels), rooms which could be easily converted into suites, and garages for guests' cars. In later years the hotel became better known for its nightclub. It was eventually purchased by the Alfred Hospital for use as a nurses' residence, and in 2004 awaited possible development as high-rise apartments.