(3782, 42 km E, Cardinia Shire)
Clematis was settled in 1864 when William Heywood established a homestead just south of Cardinia Creek on part of a run taken up originally by James Clow in 1838. Poor land and relative isolation kept settlers at bay until the latter half of the 20th century. Michael O'Connor settled in 1882, later opening a wine shop at the junction of Wellington and Black Hill roads. The general locality was known as Paradise Valley for a time, renamed after the climbing plant. Today the township, 6 km east of Belgrave, consists of one hotel, on the original wine shop site, and a station on the Puffing Billy Railway.