(3978, 48 km SE, City of Casey)
Named after the River Clyde, Scotland, this township, serving a mixed farming district, was laid out in 1888 at a railway station on the Leongatha line. The original settlement, located one and a half miles (2.5 km) away, was later renamed Clyde North. Once the location of the Ruffy brothers' Mayune run, Clyde became a centre for the Band of Hope, a Methodist-based temperance movement, in the 1880s, and at one time boasted two churches, a state school (commenced in 1910), a public hall and a free library. The area remains largely rural today, but suburbia is encroaching gradually from nearby Cranbourne.