(3103, 10 km E, Boroondara City)
Situated in the rolling hills between Camberwell and Balwyn, this area was part of Elgar's Special Survey of 1841. Deepdene railway station opened in 1890, named after the local residence of D.C. Askew. Bounded by Burke Road, Whitehorse Road, Mont Albert Road and Balwyn Road, Deepdene includes several tranquil parks as well as some of the most salubrious interwar housing and characteristic street tree plantings of Melbourne's eastern suburbs. Deepdene lay on the Outer Circle railway and a spur line survived between Deepdene and East Camberwell until 1927, the last suburban steam train service in Melbourne (the 'Deepdene Dasher'). Deepdene was, after 1914, the terminus of the Prahran and Malvern Tramway Trust's electrified line. When electric trams subsequently extended along Whitehorse Road, this corner of the City of Camberwell became a prized site for the villas of Melbourne's rising professional class.