(3076, 20 km N, Whittlesea City)
Located on Darebin Creek in the Plenty growth corridor, and the terminus of a metropolitan railway line, Epping was one of Melbourne's fastest growing suburbs in the latter decades of the 20th century. It grew from a village reserve named after Epping Forest, Essex, England, in 1853. Epping Shire (1893) amalgamated with Whittlesea Shire in 1915. Dairying and quarrying were once predominant industries, and extant drystone walls and historic farm homesteads attest to the suburb's rural past. Many of the district's early settlers were Irish and German. The suburb features the Northern Hospital and Epping Campus of the Northern Melbourne Institute of TAFE.