Glass Terrace is in part the oldest remaining terrace row in Melbourne. The two bluestone-fronted houses at 72-74 Gertrude Street, Fitzroy, probably designed by J.E. Moore, were built in 1853-54, and another six were added by architect David Ross in 1856 for the important colonial entrepreneur Hugh Glass. The terrace is characterised by simple detailing and proportions, and is considered to be a rare example of Georgian influence on Melbourne architecture. Slated for demolition in the 1970s, they were restored as public housing in 1985-86.