(3124, 11 km E, Boroondara City)
In the former City of Camberwell, the area around the junction of Camberwell and Toorak roads took its name from James Irwin's residence, Hartwell House (1853). Hartwell was important as the site of the first school in the district (1862). The Hartwell railway station is on the old Outer Circle line and the shopping centre is a remnant of the shopping strips that developed at transport intersections between the wars. Hartwell's most significant buildings are on the former Golf Links estate, one of the most successful interwar subdivisions, where kerbing, plantings and well-crafted private housing still survive.