Among Melbourne's finest bookshops, the Hill of Content has traded at 86 Bourke Street since July 1922. Young Sydney bookseller, Colonel A.H. 'Bert' Spencer, moved to Melbourne and borrowed £1000 to buy the ramshackle premises. The shop, selling new and second-hand books, was a small oasis for booklovers and part of the transformation of the top end of the hill into a haven for the literati. A three-storeyed shop was erected after the original shop was demolished in 1929. In 1952 Spencer sold the business to Angus & Robertson who later sold to Collins Booksellers.