1. Themes
  2. A to Z

Melbourne Grammar School

This Anglican independent school opened on 7 April 1858 on the corner of Domain and St Kilda roads, South Yarra, a now highly prized location thought at that time to be too far from the city. Following the English public school model, its first headmaster, Dr J.E. Bromby, instituted a classical curriculum. The prefect system, school magazine, school songs, games (cricket, football, rowing and athletics), and school flag, motto and crest introduced by his successor, Edward Morris, and the Cadet Corps, introduced in 1884, remain features of the school today. The original bluestone buildings, designed by Charles Webb, have been augmented by later additions, notably the chapel in 1893, the War Memorial Hall in 1928, and several buildings from the 1950s under headmaster Sir Brian Hone. In 1886 a preparatory school, Wadhurst, was opened on the site, followed by Grimwade House, Caulfield, in 1918. The school has produced three prime ministers (Deakin, Bruce and Fraser), famous footballers (the Cordner brothers) and several Olympians (Edwin Flack was the first in 1896). It has schooled generations of families prominent in Melbourne's business, social and political elite, including the Rusdens, Grimwades and A'Becketts, as well as others famous for their artistic and literary endeavours, including Manning Clark, Barry Humphries and Leslie Howard.

Helen Penrose

Bate, Weston, and Helen Penrose, Challenging traditions: a history of Melbourne Grammar, Australian Scholarly Publishing, Melbourne, 2002. Details