(3054, 4 km N, Yarra City)
Princes Hill is that part of Carlton immediately north of Melbourne General Cemetery and east of Princes Park. Both Princes Park and Princes Hill took their name from Queen Victoria's consort, Prince Albert. As the subdivision of land in Carlton began in the south in 1852 and worked north, Princes Hill was not subdivided until the late 1870s. Most of the early houses there were workers' cottages. The rate of building surged in the 1880s land boom. Building of Federation-style houses proceeded slowly but steadily between 1890 and 1914. By the 1930s almost every block in Princes Hill had been built on.