(3761, 30 km NE, Nillumbik Shire)
Formerly Caledonia, then Queenstown, St Andrews emerged in 1854 as the largest township on the Caledonia goldfields, its population exceeding 600. It was also on access roads to Smiths Gully and Kinglake. A formal land survey followed in 1858. With post office, court, hotels and brewery, the town of Queenstown was proclaimed (1861). The demise of mining, evident by the 1890s, brought decline despite agricultural development. Queenstown State School (common school, 1862) was renamed St Andrews in 1956. Artists and others attracted by the countryside and tranquillity ensured new prosperity for the area from the 1970s.