This independent school opened as the Melbourne Academy in Spring Street on 6 October 1851. Founded by the Rev. James Forbes, this Presbyterian boys' school accepted all denominations from its inception. Principal until 1856 was Robert Lawson, during whose time the name Scotch College came into use. Housed at another Spring Street site during 1852-53, Scotch opened in 1854 in new buildings on government-granted land in Lansdowne Street, now the location of the Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute. Alexander Morrison (principal 1857-1903) set Scotch on firm foundations, with average annual enrolments of about 300. In 1858 Scotch played a pioneering Australian Rules football game against Melbourne Grammar School, and in 1868 inaugurated the Head of the River. Principal William Still Littlejohn (1904-33) oversaw the move and expansion of Scotch. Beginning with the junior school in 1916, Scotch completed its relocation to Hawthorn in 1926. Noted for having more old boys in Who's who than any other Australian school, Scotch has schooled prime minister George Reid, governors-general Sir Zelman Cowen, Sir Ninian Stephen (also a High Court justice) and Peter Hollingworth, Victorian governor Sir Henry Winneke, seven premiers including John Cain, Jeff Kennett and Tasmanian premier Jim Bacon, High Court chief justice Sir John Latham and justices Sir Hayden Starke and Kenneth Hayne, poet W.J. Turner, songwriter John Williamson, Olympian Drew Ginn, Brownlow Medallist Bill Morris, and General Sir John Monash, whose name features throughout Melbourne.