1. Themes
  2. A to Z

Williamstown Botanic Gardens

Surrounded by Osborne and Giffard streets, the Esplanade and the Fearon Reserve, the 10-acre (4 ha) Williamstown Botanic Gardens were officially opened in 1860. William Bull is credited with the original design, and government botanist Ferdinand von Mueller provided many of the garden's first seeds and plants, both native and exotic. A rockery, lake, and cast-iron gates from the mansion Fairlie were added in 1903. The gardens are maintained by Hobsons Bay City Council and are listed on the Register of the National Estate.

Carmel Murphy