Albert Coates Lane was built as part of the QV shopping complex in 2002-3. Despite its recent creation, Albert Coates Lane is steeped in history. It was named for Sir Albert Coates OBE, a surgeon at the Royal Melbourne Hospital in the 1920s. Coates served at Gallipoli in 1915 as a medical orderly, and in World War II as Senior Surgeon and lieutenant colonel in Singapore and Java before being captured and treating the sick and dying on the Burma-Thai railway. Albert Coates Lane was once the site of Melbourne's first hospital, and the current lane leads to a preserved pavilion of the former Queen Victoria Hospital, which is now used as a Women's Centre.