Coromandel Place is a dead-end laneway running north from Little Collins Street between Russell and Exhibition streets. It was named for a ship which landed at Port Phillip in July 1840 and carried 239 passengers from Plymouth in the United States. In 1860, the lane contained a French polishing business run by C. Cooper. In 1895, the lane contained Kemp and Sheehan (blacksmiths, coppersmiths, and sporting goods manufacturers). Their works were situated within a row of houses between a commercial printing works to the west, and the Eastern Arcade and Eastern Market. The lane also contained a substantial bakery and provided service access to the East Melbourne Hotel on Bourke Street. A blacksmith still operated out of Coromandel Place in 1935, but it was then surrounded by a printery, publishing company and an engineering firm. Until 1923, the City Newsboys Society also had a warehouse in the laneway. In the early twentieth century, a gramophone repairer traded alongside the print-industry shops. The laneway's entrance is more recently flanked by an apartment building to the west, and a Uniting Church to the east.