1. Themes
  2. A to Z
  • Click to view this image

    Coverlid Place. Looking South at Savoy Project Site, 12 October 1964, courtesy of City of Melbourne.

Coverlid Place

Coverlid Place leads south from Little Bourke Street in Chinatown between Russell and Exhibition streets. It was previously known as Healy Lane, and connected to Golden Fleece Alley and Brien Lane via an east-west access track. In the 1870s, Coverlid Place contained stables, private houses and a shop. By the 1890s, the laneway also serviced the rear building of the Temperance Hall on Russell Street, and a Gospel Hall on Brien Lane. In 1920, Coverlid Place had only one resident, two vacant allotments and a furniture store. Although its connection to Brien Lane has been severed, Coverlid now serves as the only access route to Golden Fleece Alley, where the two lanes currently host an adult cinema. Although the laneway is predominantly a service accessway, in 2008 it also contained a teppanyaki restaurant and Charltons Snooker Hall, a games hall and karaoke bar popular with students.

Edwina Byrne

Sands & McDougall’s commercial and general Melbourne directory, Sands & McDougall, Melbourne, 1920. Details
'1-3 Coverlid Place, H7822, File 1519', in Victorian Heritage Register On-Line, 2000, http://www.doi.vic.gov.au/doi/hvolr.nsf. Details
'Central Melbourne - Lanes C-D', in Amendment C105 - CBD Laneways Review, City of Melbourne, 2007, http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/info.cfm?top=195&pg=3065&bp=1902&coll=8. Details
MMBW Detail Plan, 1014, City of Melbourne, image no bw0005, 1895; MMBW Melbourne Sewerage Plans 1890s - 1950s; State Library of Victoria. Details