Hawke Place comprised land which extended east from King Street, between Little Lonsdale and La Trobe streets, before doglegging to the north. It was separated from Eagle Alley to the east by a wood yard. It does not exist today. Like most Melbourne laneways, Hawke Place was home to a hotel, the Melbourne and Geelong Railway Hotel. By 1895, it became known as the Victorian Railways Hotel. In 1860, John Dynon ran his earthenware dealership from Hawke Place.