Hayward Lane South is located between Russell and Exhibition streets, extending from between Lonsdale Street and Little Lonsdale Street. In 1858, the Central Mission Wesley Church was built on Lonsdale Street, just to the east of Hayward Lane South. This church exists today as the Wesley Uniting Church. As was the case with many of Melbourne's lanes at the turn of the century, two hotels were located on Hayward Lane South in 1895. The Tower Hotel was located on the corner of Russell and Lonsdale streets, backing onto the lane. The Druids Hotel, located at 270-276 Russell Street, backed onto the western side of the lane. A sawmill occupied the space on the eastern side of Hayward Lane South.