Manchester Lane connects Flinders Lane to Collins Street between Swanston and Elizabeth streets. It was known for the abundance of fabric and soft goods warehouses. Manchester Lane contained several importers of drugs, as well as many tailors, hatters and outfitters in 1860. Ross House, also known as Royston House, was constructed in Manchester Lane between 1898-99. The current Royston House is the remaining section of the earlier building built for Melbourne importers. Sydney-based architects designed the structure to reflect an American Romanesque style. Ross House become Royston House in 1929 when it was converted into offices for the State Electricity Commission of Victoria. The building retains its historical significance as a memento of the large commercial warehouses present in the city at the turn of the twentieth century. In 1961, the lane was home to a ski centre, Quality Luncheon Services and an American handbag store. The Age reported that in 2005, Manchester Lane was home to only three residents, but by 2008 it housed almost a dozen hospitality, fashion and services retailers.