Located between Spencer and King streets, Rose Alley extends from Lonsdale to Little Bourke streets. The right-of-way was created and named pre-1856, although during this time it was only a dead-end that extended north from Little Bourke Street. The lane was possibly named after King Street hay and corn merchant Alexander Rose. In 1860, shoemaker William Murray based his business on this site.
- Sands & McDougall’s commercial and general Melbourne directory, Sands & McDougall, Melbourne, 1860. Details
- 'Central Melbourne: Lanes N-R', in Amendment C105 - CBD Laneways Review, City of Melbourne, 2007, http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/info.cfm?top=195&pg=3065&bp=1902&coll=8. Details
- Bate, Weston, Essential but unplanned: The story of Melbourne's lanes, State Library of Victoria and the City of Melbourne, Melbourne, 1994. Details