Located between Elizabeth and Swanston streets, Royston Place extends south from Flinders Lane. It was named in 1963 after Royston House (now Ross House), which is situated at 247-51 Flinders Lane. Royston House was erected in 1898-1900 as an extensive six-storey brick warehouse for importers Sargood, Butler, Nichol and Ewen, and named in 1929. Only one section of this Romanesque styled structure remains today.
Prior to 1963, this right-of-way was known as Were Alley, then Manchester Place. The former was named for stockbroker J.B. Were, who arrived in Melbourne in 1839 and who occupied the building west of the lane.