Located between Queen and Elizabeth streets, Staughton Alley extends north from Flinders Lane. It was named prior to 1856 after pastoralist and banker Simon Staughton, a stockholder in Flinders Lane in 1841.
In July 1891, import agents of glass, tiles and paints Brooks, Robinson and Co. (established 1854) wrote a letter of complaint to the City of Melbourne stating that the water closets at the rear of their property had not been emptied. In the 1935 business directory, Brooks, Robinson and Co. were still listed as occupants of the lane, along with the Gill & Searle Store.
- Sands & McDougall’s commercial and general Melbourne directory, Sands & McDougall, Melbourne, 1935. Details
- 'Central Melbourne: Lanes S-Z', in Amendment C105 - CBD Laneways Review, City of Melbourne, 2007, http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/info.cfm?top=195&pg=3065&bp=1902&coll=8. Details
- Bate, Weston, Essential but unplanned: The story of Melbourne's lanes, State Library of Victoria and the City of Melbourne, Melbourne, 1994. Details
- Unit 674, no.1894; VPRS 3181/P000, City of Melbourne Town Clerk's Files Series 1; Public Record Office Victoria, Victorian Archives Centre. Details