1. Themes
  2. A to Z

William Angliss Institute of Tafe

The William Angliss Food Trades School opened on 18 September 1940 on the site of the old West Melbourne Technical School in La Trobe Street. The school was named after meat baron Sir William Angliss who, following a 1937 royal commission into the wheat, flour and bread industries, and demand from local hotel owners for better-trained staff, donated £20 000 for the construction of a double-storey red brick building. Specialising in training butchery, breadmaking and cooking apprentices, the school steadily expanded. Renamed the William Angliss Institute of TAFE, the school also offers training in the hospitality and tourism industries.

Peter Rushbrook

Nunn, Kathy, William Angliss College: The first 50 years, Hargreen Publishing, Melbourne, 1990. Details

See also

Alston Lane