Alston Lane runs south off Little Lonsdale Street near its intersection with King Street. It also connects to Elliot Lane at a right angle. The north-west of the city was not built up as quickly as other sectors, and the first occupants of Alston Lane were commercial, manufacturing, and processing buildings in 1866. Because land was cheap here, the area contained stables and small factories, and naturally attracted the industries which catered to these. In 1918 the lane contained the Australian Metal Co. Ltd Store. In 2008 it faced onto the William Angliss Institute of TAFE across Little Lonsdale Street, which specialises in hospitality, tourism, and the culinary arts. The lane is blocked off from pedestrian use.