Located between Swanston and Russell streets, Tattersalls Lane extends from Lonsdale Street to Little Bourke Street. It was named pre-1856 after the Tattersalls Hotel and Tattersalls Club located nearby, and in 1860 was populated by a number of Chinese migrants attracted to Victoria by the discovery of gold in the colony. In 1893, the Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Company, manufacturers of bicycle tyres, was established in Tattersalls Lane.
- Sands & McDougall’s commercial and general Melbourne directory, Sands & McDougall, Melbourne, 1860. Details
- 'Central Melbourne: Lanes S-Z', in Amendment C105 - CBD Laneways Review, City of Melbourne, 2007, http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/info.cfm?top=195&pg=3065&bp=1902&coll=8. Details
- Bate, Weston, Essential but unplanned: The story of Melbourne's lanes, State Library of Victoria and the City of Melbourne, Melbourne, 1994. Details