Opposite Flinders Lane in Treasury Gardens there is an octagonal stone mounted on an octagonal base, on top of which is a metal ring. This is the hitching post that was originally installed outside No. 85 Spring Street. It is typical of the hitching posts found on Melbourne's streets prior to 1900. It was moved to its present site in 1971. If it seems an oddity today, one has to remember that by the middle decades of the twentieth century there was great nostalgia for the days of the horse.